Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Book Review: The 6P’s of the Big 3 for Job-Seeking JD’s - 60+ Ways to Get Hired Using Social Networking


I never realized that meeting me for the first time, as well as giving me a gift of your book on social media could be a frightening experience until I met Amanda Ellis last night. Well, not exactly the first time. I believe in the last couple years we’ve tweeted a few sentences to each other a couple times, so we’re buddies, friends.

She walked in to the restaurant and in what appeared to be a carefully planned moment, stuck her hand out. Amanda wasn’t going to go any further, subjecting herself to scorn and a possible blog post. It was like a person entering someone else’s home and seeing a dog, wondering if it was friendly, (assuming it wasn’t from its looks and reputation) and taking no chances. A moment later, to the surprise and relief of the guest, the dog jumps up and licks the face of the new arrival.

I didn’t lick her face, but I felt the shock expressed by her in that “oh, OK, I guess he does smile, kiss, and hug” reaction I saw.

She then handed me a signed copy of her book, The 6P’s of the Big 3 for Job-Seeking JD’s - 60+ Ways to Get Hired Using Social Networking. While seemingly apologetic, (she didn’t actually apologize for giving it to me, I don't think, maybe), she was clearly not overly-excited in handing it over. I mean, I’m pretty sure that if you know me, you don’t think handing me your book on social media when we meet for the first time is a path to a relationship.

To her visual shock, I told her I would read it.

I love this book, and I think every 1L should get a copy when they arrive at law school.

The book produces what it claims – advice on how to get a job using social media (and proof that it worked) – but it is much more. This is a worthy read for anyone looking for a job, or anyone looking to keep a job. It’s also a nice review for those heavily in to social media who don’t think acting like a human being is part of the equation, or don’t remember the basics.

Amanda didn’t just have me at hello when I met her, but Chapter 1 of her book is titled – wanna take a guess? “Professionalism.”

This is after the disclaimer that may cause the “get rich quick” crowd to leave it on the shelf:

“There is no guarantee that anything in this book will get you a job.”

Sold.

The book rightfully focuses on “the big 3.” - Facebook, LinkedIn, and twitter, with mentions of some other sites and internet resources. The book is methodical – mentioning all aspects of the “big 3,” with many clear, concise charts summarizing the advice and screen shots of examples of the advice in action.

The book doesn’t just give a passing glance to “getting on social media,” the first 110 pages are devoted to “preparing” to engage online. Advice from types of photos, writing biographies, and most impressive – the difference between what’s “helpful,” and possibly “harmful," is all there. All the advice is sound, from who to connect with, what information not to post, and a great deal on how to differentiate yourself. There is a large tone of “be careful” in this book, and it’s much needed advice to counter the marketing hacks out there cheerleading that social media is “nothing to fear.”

The book does get overwhelming. Amanda Ellis “gets” social networking and the intricacies that make each of the “big 3” different, and explains them in detail. There is a ton of advice. To someone who is not active on social media, the thought may be: “this is too much.” But the last part of the book (prior to the true life examples of success with job searches using social media) gives advice on time management. Just doing some of the things advised in the book will be a positive addition to your social networking life.

Non-anonymous comments welcome. Located in Miami, Florida, Brian Tannebaum practices Bar Admission and Discipline and Criminal Defense. He is the author of I Got A Bar Complaint.Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

shg said...

I told Amanda not to give you a copy of her book because you can't actually read. She said she would give you a copy anyway, because she didn't want to humiliate you because of your intellectual or educational challenges.

Amanda is a very kind woman.

Jordan Rushie said...

I think one major mistake my generation makes is relying too much on the internet and electronic communication. There is a lot of value to a telephone call and taking someone out to lunch. "Networking", in my opinion, is much more than an email or a newsletter. It involves developing relationships over time, which I think is best done in person.

The "big 3" are great when used in conjunction with actual communication. Just not in place of it.

However, I've found Facebook is a great excuse to say "Hey, do you mind if I give you a call?", especially if it's someone you haven't seen for awhile, and then it turns into "let's grab lunch and discuss further."