Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Former BigLaw "Feels Like I Don't Even Have A Job."

Last year an unhappy BigLaw called and asked if we could meet. I learned that her work in criminal law was much more fulfilling than her then stint at BigLaw.

She told me she had her eyes set on getting back into criminal law. She asked, with an almost desperate tone of "I hate what I'm doing," if I'd help.

Today, while I was leaving court, she stopped me. She was on a break awaiting to give her closing argument in her first trial as an assistant public defender.

I asked how she liked the job.

"I love it so much that it feels like I don't even have a job."

I know, I know, going from $150,000 to $40 or $50 grand doesn't do it for the newbies out there. I understand. It's not about the law, it's about the cash.

I just wanted to mention a quick story about a rare young lawyer who is doing what she loves.

Even if few get anything out of it.

Located in Miami, Florida, Brian Tannebaum practices Bar Admission and Discipline and Criminal Defense. He is the author of I Got A Bar Complaint.

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

The Namby Pamby said...

I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one.

Anonymous said...

See, e.g., http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/03/01/are-you-a-member-of-the-gen-y-slackoisie-find-out-here/

Prounounced “Slack-wah-zee”. This term was coined by J. Daniel Hull, Esq., author of the “What About Clients?” blawg, and popularized by Scott H. Greenfield, Esq., author of the “Simple Justice” blawg. It refers to:

(1) a class of narcissistic young professionals, particularly attorneys (usually Gen Y/millennials), who believe that having a job is an entitlement, rather than a privilege. They often complain about the work they have (if working), opine the lack of “real lawyer” jobs available in the market, and are critical of the long hours and inadequate pay found at most small firms. They believe they are entitled to work/life balance, that their opinions on any subject are inherently important and that whatever benefits they enjoy are inadequate. The Slackoisie are more interested in having a place to go in the morning and some spending money than committing themselves to their clients and the profession; or

(2) a slacker with an exaggerated sense of self-importance and entitlement. . .
(4) Anyone with a graduate degree who lives in their parents basement and is unemployed because they cannot find an employer who “appreciates their uniqueness” or demands that they actually produce quality work before being given a raise, the corner office and a convertible sports car.

Roger said...

Thanks for this. You inspired me. I've been getting longer lawyers asking me some similar questions lately. It's a challenging time, but not an impossible one.